View Single Post
Old 21-04-2019, 00:30   #634
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
You decided to look where? Every headend has a different frequency plan for transport streams. What you see on an individual network almost certainly won't be the same in other regions.
I’ve a DVB-C tuner.

Yes, each area has a different plan which is why I didn’t claim it was representative of the entire network. However space either side of the existing broadband frequencies is far more likely to be used for broadband than DVB-C TV services. Of course, you know this already.

I’ve no reason to believe my area to be special in any way so I’d guess the same principle is happening elsewhere.

Quote:
What data are you using to determine what is being broadcast on the VOD transport streams? Any scan will only show usage at a given point in time for a given location. Remember that VOD distribution is more similar to DOCSIS than it is to normal broadcast transport stream distribution. What you can see is usage in your local neighbourhood (or the neighbourhood local to wherever the data is scanned). It may not accurately show usage trends on the local network or on Virgin nationally.
Obviously it relies upon the data at a given point but from my own observations and the graphs on DBR show a downward trend with far more red than live active streams at any given point.

Now as you say it’s localised. So it could be the consequence of node splitting or the removal of old STBs which didn’t have iPlayer delivered over the internet. I’m not sure which catch up apps use which delivery method - I suppose I could test tomorrow by switching off my hub when I press play.

EDIT: If anyone got extremely bored and wanted to develop the frequency plan for their area it can be done, albeit in a time consuming way, with the technical menu of the V6. Channels will be grouped the same as on DBR, except regional variations, and it’ll report the frequency. The status page of your Superhub 3 will also tell you 24 of the broadband frequencies in use. Any “gaps” will be the cleared space or VOD.

If it’s a former Telewest area I suspect C001 on DBR is 115Mhz and rising at 8Mhz intervals until C080 at 747Mhz. So it does show where the gaps are too. I’d be interested to know what happens in 860Mhz areas as it was often proposed 860Mhz to 1Ghz (when the network was upgraded) would be better for DOCSIS 3.1 as it requires new kit anyway. The clearance makes more sense at the top than the bottom in these areas. That’s not to say they can’t swap it round later anyway.

Last edited by jfman; 21-04-2019 at 01:05.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote