Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 19-06-2019, 10:41   #3552
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Barnier has said we can have a Canada style deal. Here is one report of his statement.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...exit-deal-over

The NI border is a red herring and if we leave the EU without a deal, that problem remains, doesn't it?

The EU is concerned to get a deal with the UK because it has a large volume of its own exports hanging on this. And when I say a 'no deal' I mean no withdrawal agreement. Article 28 and the trade deal are both accepted as being options under a so called 'no deal' scenario.
Sorry for the delay, I was away Yesterday. Thanks very much for the link, it does seem to reflect Barniers 'staircase' slide. It seems a pragmatic solution but again, the NI/RoI border issue is still an issue and of course it would be under a 'no deal' situation.

I guess my pessimism come from the inability to see a deal that is politically acceptable in the UK AND preserves the principles of the GFA.

I haven't heard much about article 28 of GATT recently. The last I heard was some grumpy noises from Australia and New Zealand on Tariff Rate Quotas but that was late last year