View Single Post
Old 18-06-2019, 10:01   #293
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Leadership who is the next PM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
All true, but it’s also important to remember that we don’t directly elect the executive in this country. We never have. Party leadership is a matter for party membership, which by its nature is unrepresentative. Premiership is a matter for Parliament - the Parliament we all elect. When we hold a General Election we should perhaps be more mindful of the power we are investing in the individual we elect to represent our constituency and less so of those who happen to hold ministerial positions at the time.

Perhaps the fractiousness and rebelliousness of Parliament these last few months will help re-establish that understanding.
Agreed. The delicious irony is that Johnson vehemently objected to the appointment of Gordon Brown after Blair stepped down:

Boris Johnson blasted leaders becoming PM without election in old column

Quote:
Johnson hit out at the former Chancellor for taking the job at Number 10 without winning his own general election as leader, calling it a ‘gigantic fraud’. ‘It’s the arrogance. It’s the contempt. That’s what gets me,’ Johnson wrote. ‘It’s Gordon Brown’s apparent belief that he can just trample on the democratic will of the British people. ‘It’s at moments like this that I think the political world has gone mad, and I am alone in detecting the gigantic fraud.’

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
You could have joined the party if you wanted to democratically influence the vote, you can join now and influence decisions in the future but not in this election as per the party rules.
I think you wasted the crayon on this one

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The party membership doesn’t have to be. The party chooses its leader, not the prime minister. Ultimately the position of PM is a matter of parliamentary confidence. And parliamentary sovereignty is very much the thing right now.
Some colour on the values of said membership. What they will accept in turn for getting Brexit. Truly frightening: