Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2019, 19:51   #1597
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Farage is not popular. There is a reason the official Leave campaign didn't want to use him and why he has failed to be elected 6/7 times. He has some loyal support spread out thinly across the country.

He has represented relatively popular positions though and even if the supporters of those positions think it is a poor cheerleader for them he has often been the only outlet for them. There were plenty of Leave supporters who has distain for Farage's dog whistling xenophobia but UKIP were the only option if the matter of the EU was their main political concern. Just as Corbyn isn't popular but is the only option for many who want higher taxation, higher public spending and to end benefit cuts.

I don't really think he needs to be 'beaten', it's just a matter of continuing to argue against those positions and to not get drawn into Farage's ego-trip whilst doing so.
On the contrary, Nige was the only reason many people voted UKIP last time. Had it not been for the toxicity of UKIP with its fanatical base, many more would have voted for them.

Nige has recognised this and formed his very own party. You have grossly underestimated Nigel Farage's popularity, but then again you are a remainer and presumably mix socially with remainers.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I don't - I think a (reasonably sized) minority may be, but that the majority of politicians get into politics because they want improve things for people and the country, but we sometimes differ (due to our outlook) because their thoughts on what would improve things may not be the same as ours.

I've known quite a few MPs, and most of them worked long hours (through the week and weekends), and often didn't see much of their families.
I agree with that, Hugh. People really don't understand how much work MPs have to get through and what their motives are. The vast majority are motivated with a desire to serve their constituents and to make a difference.

It is undeniable that MPs have very little time to spend with their families, such is their dedication. To call them 'self-serving' is very unfair.

It is easy enough for 'Gogglebox' contenders to sit on their sofas eating pizzas and criticising. If they truly disapprove, they should get off their butts, put themselves forward as candidates, and have the courage of their convictions.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Okay I shouldn't have made such a sweeping generalisation. I think enough are that at risk Tories from a Brexit party and at risk Labour MPs in majority leave voting constituencies.

I don't think that the Rees-Moggs, Redwoods, Johnsons, Goves, Raabs of this world are in politics to make the world a better place. All of them are independently wealthy and on the payroll of think-tanks, newspapers, etc. Johnson himself described the £100 000 financial interest in a flat he has as "chicken feed" - one can only assume he thinks the same of his backbench MP salary?
Of course they want to make the world a better place! They want to make the country more prosperous (which is the way you fund public services sustainably), and being businessmen, they can see how this can be done.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Corbyn could be elected for the same reasons Brexit won. A group of people feel the problems they have are being ignored and will vote for someone that they feel is speaking to them.

The Tories inability to do anything about homes for example is going to really hurt them in the end. They keep avoiding any real change because they don't want to upset their voter base by doing anything that might stop the inflation in house prices but their voter base is getting older and older.
What are you on about? So Labour's record on housing between 1997 and 2010 was anything to shout about?

There is a huge house building programme currently taking place. Villages are turning into towns in the Thames Valley!.

This will reduce house prices to much more sustainable levels. Unfortunately, this does take time, but at least this Government is trying.

Last edited by Hugh; 13-04-2019 at 22:40.