Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 31-03-2019, 12:12   #880
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit (New).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Hope this clarifies thing - statistical methodology explained.
http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org...opinion-polls/

With a sample of 2,000, the poll will be within 2% 19 times out of 20.
Great explanation.
There's a temptation to take polls like a tip for a horse race. If they don't give me the right tip for the 3:30 at Haydock then they're wrong!
The reality as you show is that things are more nuanced.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I think the new polls are starting to validate this possible future. I said right at the beginning of this journey: Vote Brexit, Get Corbyn and this may yet play out.

The Tory (and to a lesser extent Labour) brand is so damaged that anything is possible now. Cameron may go down in history as not only as the man who inflicted Brexit on the country but as the man who broke his party in the process. Not a bad day's work!
I remember you saying that about Brexit and it's looking more likely now than three years ago!
I think when it comes to parties the analysis has shown that the gap exists for a party that is more interventionist in the economy but less liberal on crime. At the moment, you can't seem to get both together.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That's not what theory means in this context.
Exactly. They're not trying to prove a proposition one way or the other.