View Single Post
Old 28-03-2018, 15:46   #1248
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You questioned my appreciation of the value of having personal data, Andrew. I do not misunderstand that.

But you certainly appear to misunderstand the impact of this regulation on small and medium sized organisations if you believe that you don't need to get customer consent to use their data.

I am secretary of an organisation that collects names and addresses simply for the purpose of collecting subscriptions and sending information to our members. That is perfectly legitimate, but we still have to write to all 1000 odd subscribers and get their written consent to the collection of this data, and tell them how we use it, although they already know. We also have to give them all our privacy document.

This is simply unreasonable, short and simple. Apart from the time taken to compile all of this, we have to spend money on printing this lot, and train everyone on their duties under the regulations even though they already comply. We cannot risk a fine for not doing any of this properly.

I think you need to read the regulation again, Andrew, because I don't think you have taken the full implications on board.

Just read the ICO site and consider how a small organisation gets its head around all of this. It's a flaming nightmare. And totally unnecessary to tackle the problem this way.
I'm afraid you have misinterpreted the regulations Old Boy and tied yourself up in knots. Legitmate use over-rules consent. I suggest you speak to the ICO.