Thread: VM Business VMB Setup 5 static IP help please
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2020, 13:27   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: VMB Setup 5 static IP help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Not sure if there's an incorrect use in terminology here, but there's a distinct difference between "setting a static IP for everything" and "Putting everything on a DHCP reservation list". Note that I'm talking about your home network/LAN, not ISP configuration settings.

Static IPs (Again: Home LAN) are assigned on the device themselves, DHCP reservations are assigned by the router.

If the former, be sure you know what you're doing because if you statically allocate two devices the same IP, you'll have a bad day. If your DHCP server allocates an IP you've statically assigned, you'll have a bad day.

When it comes to your home LAN, there's generally zero need to use static IP addresses, stick to DHCP.
At home I have several devices that, for various reason, I need for the IP not to change. I find setting the IP statically is OK, at a pinch, but it should not be used as a permanent solution. If you need the IP not to change, I would recommend setting up DHCP reservations on the router. These have several advantages. If you've set an IP statically, you need to ensure the router will not attempt to use the same IP for something else. You also need to ensure you keep a record of the IP and what device it's assigned to because once you have more than a few devices, it's hard to remember what IPs are available and what are assigned.

DHCP reservations have none of those problems, because the router already has a list of what is assigned to what, and will not attempt to re-use any of the IPs. Also, if you need to change one or more of the IPs assigned, it's a lot easier to do it on the router. Next time the device requests an IP, it'll get the changed IP.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote