View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 17:58   #52
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Official Star Wars Saga

I think the film series is best watched without cluttering one’s mind with too much sci fi technicality, especially stuff that sounds like it’s come from the extended universe. To the best of my recollection none of the nine saga films (nor Rogue One, nor IIRC Solo) has ever dealt with the gritty detail of travel time or refuelling stops in any consistent or detailed way. Star Wars is science fantasy, not hard science fiction. The technology serves the plot, it does not dictate it.

It seems to me that you’re falling into the same trap as a great many Uber-fans in getting cross when characters don’t conform to a fairly narrow interpretation of what Star Wars characters “should” do in any given situation. The whole point of The Last Jedi was to challenge those assumptions. Perhaps they pushed it too far for the hardcore fans but I think TLJ was a far better addition to the series for it and Rose’s reaction to Finn’s suicidal attack in the final act was by no means indefensible for her character, especially given how little we knew about her. She wasn’t a galaxy conquering hero fulfilling her manifest destiny, she was a low-grade tech who stumbled in to something way above her pay grade - again, entirely in keeping with the trope-chomping theme of that whole film.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote