View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 16:21   #51
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Official Star Wars Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don’t think he wrote Rose out because she wasn’t popular with a bunch of misogynistic, basement dwelling internet nerds.
I may be an internet nerd but I am not basement dwelling and I still hate her. It all comes down to my realism factor. All your ships have been blown to bits, you are down to your last handful of survivors and you face imminent peril. Somebody has an opportunity to prevent your inevitable demise and instead of letting him do it you stop him by crashing your ship into his thus sealing the fate of all the people in the bunker as well as yourself. She didn't save him, their ships crashed in front of the AT-ATs so they both would have died anyway. If she was a true rebel she you would have thought of the greater good and acted in the best interest of everyone. It was a stupid stupid story arc and makes me want to scream every time I think about it. At the end of Rise when they are on the deck of the star destroyer and Finn tells everyone to get on the transport and leave and she stops and turns towards him and says "what are you doing?" I slapped my forehead and said "nooooooo, not again". I was just waiting for her to go running after him (and hopefully get blown up).

The funny thing is though, and we didn't get to find out, I half got the impression that Finn was going to tell Rey he loves her.

There were a few things which killed me with Rise and it is all to do with my realism factor and how far fetched stuff is. Things like Rey jumping through the forcefield on Ben's destroyer into space/orbit onto the Falcon. I thought the battle on the deck of the star destroyer at the end was stupid and the passage of time fried my brain. You assume they have gone through hyperspace and it has taken them a few hours to get there because there was no mention of waypoints and having to stop and refuel etc and add another couple of hours on for the battle, so how the pluck did Lando get around a gazillion star systems and rally thousands of ships in that short time period? That would have taken weeks and months. I also thought Lando was under used as well. Given the enormity of his character he should have had more of an influential role and I felt he was there more for decoration than anything else and it was a disservice to his character. Making Finn a "General" at the end was a joke.

The big thing in this film which did it for me was the soundtrack. Whether you want to call it fan service or not, there was a lot more of the original music and themes in this film which is what it needed in the key moments and it helped make it feel more like Star Wars. I wish they would use the Yoda or Force theme in The Mandalorian as well.

I liked how the relationship ended with Rey and Ben and if they were going to make more films in the future I would like to have seen little Jedi babies. I thought what they did for Leia was beautiful and honoured her character properly.

I mentioned in the rate the last film you saw thread that I think this is the best out of the three films. I have got two big problems with this trilogy as a whole and both come down to who is in charge. Whether you like TLJ or hate it you have got to admit there is a problem with consistency across the trilogy. I don't understand why somebody like Kathleen Kennedy didn't sit down right at the start and hash out the story for the trilogy so you knew you was telling one big story as they did with the previous trilogies. Throwing in Palpatine in the last film just doesn't work. The second thing for me is again down to quality of story. I like Rey and BB8 but the other characters don't do anything for me at all. In the previous films you cared about every single character and were emotionally invested in them, whether it be Han, Padme, Vader, Obi-Wan, all of them, good or bad. They all had depth and the characters meant something. I honestly couldn't care less in these films if anyone died, Po, Finn or anyone else. The only people I cared about were the original characters.

This trilogy didn't feel like Star Wars and I don't feel like the story has moved on or I am any more the wiser or richer for having watched it. The best way I can describe it is like you asking me to make a Marvel film. I can have lots of battles, I can put the characters in it and reference various elements of the franchise but you know it wouldn't feel right without the magical touch of the key people like Kevin Feige. The same applies to these films. The prequel trilogy felt like Star Wars and you knew you was watching part of a larger story. The new trilogy feels like a marketing gimmick to me where somebody has bought the rights to Star Wars (which they quite literally have) and are just banging out something to capitalise on the brand. The only film which has felt right was Rogue One.

I was planning on putting everything in spoiler tags but as the film has now been out for two weeks I didn't feel it was necessary as anyone who is interested should have seen it by now.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote