View Single Post
Old 24-09-2020, 10:09   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Weak Indoor Mobile Signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post
Late to this thread, but also remember EE PAYM users have access to the additional 800Mhz "extended range" coverage that (where it's available) can make a noticeable difference to indoor & rural coverage. Along with having pretty extensive WiFi-calling support.

I guess it depends whether you're after a full-feature mobile service, or a slightly more budget offering.
For all the bells and whistles the mobile operators offer, I think most people still choose based on price first, although the base price for service might be obscured slightly by deals including handsets in many cases. Maybe in a city that’s fine, although the OP’s experience shows that you have to be wary of black spots even in the middle of London. Out in the sticks, for me and my neighbours, researching who has real-world coverage has to be the top priority.

I’ve found https://www.cellmapper.net/map a great resource because it gathers actual signal data from its subscribed users’ phones. As someone has driven right past my door with their phone logging detailed information, not only do I know EE works here despite us being in a very marginal area, I knew which window to stick my phone to earlier this year when I was having to tether it for Zoom meetings. The website’s cell tower data has also helped me buy and position an external antenna (although I’ve only tested by manually holding it in place so far ... fixing it to the eaves is this weekend’s DIY job).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote