View Single Post
Old 15-08-2017, 08:39   #368
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I doubt leafy Wokingham suffered in the same way in the 80's as the industrial North.

Agree with the last sentence, except for the inference that e.g. miners weren't generally ordinary decent people.
I wasn't living in Womingham at the time, but wherever you lived, the lights were going out at regular intervals and there was a general concern that the country was being taken over by Communists. Ordinary miners suffered the worst, of course, as did those towns and villages that relied on the industry for their economy.

Incidentally, I did not say that ordinary mineworkers were not decent people. It was the union leaders like Arthur Scargill who were actively trying to bring down the government who were responsible for all the chaos at the time. They also pretty well destroyed the mining industry in the process.