View Single Post
Old 19-12-2016, 18:35   #38
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Petition to try and block Murdoch taking over Sky & it's channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AIUI the Murdoch family currently only own 39% of Sky.
Murdoch controls Sky and always has. I've had similar discussions about John Malone on this forum, as some people believe he doesn't control his companies based on his shareholdings.

It's the difference between "De Facto" control and "De Jure" control.

De Facto means "in effect", the reality on the ground, whereas De Jure means "in accordance with the law".

Murdoch and Malone have de facto control of their companies, if not necessarily de jure control, full legal ownership. This is done through numerous ways, including their large shareholdings. But they also control their boards, so even if some directors may "legally" be independent, they're not. They take their orders from the media moguls.

It will bore everyone to death if I talk in detail on here about the BSB and Sky merger, and besides you can google it the same as I. But, from the merger onwards, Murdoch had de facto control of the merged company, just not full legal ownership, de jeure, which he will now have.

Murdoch, is, in effect, selling his own company to himself.