Old 16-02-2019, 10:40   #7609
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I have doubts about this ‘story’.

I have worked in many, many places, and I have never seen a security reader set at eye level - most readers are set between 900mm and 1050mm from the floor (as stated in BS8300:2009), to cater for those with disabilities; I have worked with disability advisors to ensure buildings, IT Services, and IT systems are appropriately accessible, and never fitted two separate readers.
I'm going back to the 1990's when I was a Local Government Officer; the building manager did it as a dwarf worked in the office, but others found it difficult to use.

Quoting measurements for this really is a new height of pedantism, but in the end you have two choices as to whether you believe it or not.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I shouldn’t but I laughed out loud at that.
A woman suffering from dwarfism worked in the office, so I guess he was taking her needs into consideration and future proofing should any wheelchair using staff join the workforce.

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
They were referring to anything and everything that in their view protects and defends the European project.

Don’t forget that the project is the main means by which Germany has sought to make good its heinous crimes against humanity in the 20th century and to prove its worthy of inclusion in international affairs. The EU, as the project is currently called, is genuinely dear to their hearts and I don’t doubt that our leaving it causes them genuine pain.

None of that is to say that the EU will, in the long run, be the great unifying, peace-defining project the Germans imagine it to be. We must not forget that the EU as presently designed is the very reason that one of its biggest, richest and most globally influential members (and a major net contributor to the budget) has opted to leave.

It’s disappointing that the EU’s response to this is, as usual, “more Europe!” rather than honest reflection on how it came to this.
Well, I have heard it said the the existence of the EU has prevented wars because it would be very difficult to declare war on an EU partner.

How true it is in reality, I don't know.