View Single Post
Old 12-08-2019, 22:40   #6086
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
If I were an Amazon shareholder I’d be furious, given how easy it is to turn a profit on £5bn of football rights, that they hadn’t even bid this time around. Not even a meagre “what Sky paid last time” bid, let alone a “blow them out the water one”.

If something hasn’t happened (and indeed, might never happen!) my main question would be what factors would have to change and when to make it happen.
The whole streamers winning the PL rights in the UK was bigger up by Scudamore (the then CEO of EPL) - presumably to try to scare Sky/BT to continue to substantially raise their bids (I suspect he got wind of their reluctance to do so and hyped up other interested parties to keep the rights going through the roof) this ploy obviously didn't work.

Yes, the streamers have 20 matches (all games from 2 midweek rounds in December) - minor package(s) no-one bid high enough for in the 1st round of bidding.

I have never seen a figure for how much Amazon paid, nor do I expect to as they pep rob ably signed a NDA to get them so cheaply.