View Single Post
Old 22-08-2019, 16:08   #6168
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My understanding is that if a channel has the right to screen a programme on a tv channel, it has to pay more to screen it on demand.

Similarly, I guess that if you have the right to add a programme to a streaming service, you will need to pay more to show it on the TV channel. Is that not correct, then? I think it is.

There is no deliberate misrepresentation on my part, but glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:00 ----------

No, I'm just looking at the facts and drawing obvious conclusions.

You seem to look at every prediction for the future and assume nothing will change.

I accept that's what you think, Den. I just don't agree with you.

We are just having a conversation. I don't mind if you disagree, as long as it's not just to cause an argument.
It's in theory possible to split the rights, but why would you? It would only reduce the value - why would Netflix buy streaming rights to a show airing on linear television?

Everyone would generally buys all the rights for exclusivity as it's a huge loophole to try to develop "must see" content folk can enjoy elsewhere.

There's no savings to be had here, only a risk that remaining linear channels buy content on the cheap and it undermines your model.