View Single Post
Old 19-06-2019, 22:55   #1068
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

I'm not sure if I've understood all the arguments being made over the last few pages, but here's my stance again on things:

If and it is a if, the other media cos like Disney withhold their content from Sky in the future to use on their own streaming services, then it obviously will impact Sky's linear tv service.

Comcast has an immense amount of content under its Universal and NBC arms, but there is no way Sky can run a dozen plus film channels with just Universal content, something has to give somewhere. Which is why I think over time Sky's linear service will morph into a pure streaming service or a hybrid linear/streaming service.

Lets see if Sky actually launches their full IPTV service in the UK now. A few years ago when Sky first mentioned it, it sounded a good idea, now it would be madness. Better to concentrate efforts on streaming and let someone else handle all the god channels, shopping channels etc. Also, lets see if Sky want/are allowed to aggregate the other streamers on their service.

The elephant in the room is whether the media cos can make enough dosh by removing their own content from existing pay tv services/linear channels in favour of keeping the stuff on their own streamers and essentially ripping up a lifetime of doing things. It's a major risk for them, which is why they're all late to the streaming game and to take on Netflix.

They may all succeed, or they may not, but on these sort of things I just get back to basics. If people want Star Wars, they'll go to whatever place has it. The same for all other "key" content. As Netflix has shown with Friends and why Netflix has paid Warner huge amounts of dosh to keep Friends on Netflix for another year is that not all content is the same. Some is more equal than others (excuse the Animal Farm quote there) like Friends, Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones being in that category.

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t know how you conclude the fact May has come and gone as irrelevant, it suggests (if a deal isn’t concluded) that there’s the possibility of something snagging. Like a valuation of key content, like Sky Atlantic for example.
I think the "key" bit is the snag here regarding valuations and carriage negotiations.

Is Sky Atlantic key now that Game of Thrones has ended and Warner will likely keep the new Game of Thrones show exclusively on their streaming service when it launches?

Last edited by Horizon; 19-06-2019 at 23:23.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote