View Single Post
Old 23-07-2020, 10:11   #72
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: New WiFi Router and Cat8 cable

Sam Knows (SK) is essentially a continuous monitoring on your line using a repurposed router with custom software (earlier ones were able to have full software applied and used as routers). You plug into network (router or SH) and then plug other devices into the SK box (this is so the SK box can pause testing when you load the network). The box tests speeds, ping, UDP all sorts of things and you get access to a dash board so you can see results plotted on graphs.

I used to have a box but now removed. It was a really useful tool as it rules out any possible PC issues either in PC, NIC, cable, O/S, driver (though problem in SK unit, cable or ports would still cause local issue).

The graphs can show if there are cyclical issues (e.g. speed drops every day at 1600-2000), point of time change (jitter increased at certain date).

Used to be really useful but the monitoring relationship changed and I don't have it any more. (NOTE : I say this as a customer/participant - I have no knowledge beyond end of monitoring of the relationship).