View Single Post
Old 26-11-2019, 14:55   #11
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

Hi all

Just writing to say the setup works perfectly, even better than expected, and I'm still using the full 25m length (even though that much not needed).

As @jb66 suggested, the coax is thicker than the old telephone cable it replaced... But thankfully not too much and I was able to get it through the hole OK.

The Nexan's RG6 coax cable itself has a nice robust outer sheath, and inside is double-insulated with silver metal braids (aluminium?), then thin aluminium foil, then white plastic(?) insulation, then a nice solid copper core. The cable is inexpensive, but if you want to try, be warned YMMV depending on what types of interference are present in your environment as cables purported to be RG6 use cheaper materials which may not block interference as well as materials in more expensive cables. Apparently what constitutes RG6 varies between manufacturers and the original RG6 standard is rarely if ever actually met. As I understand, the general consensus is that if you're unsure, use higher quality Webro WF100 or equivalent...

That said, I took a risk on this and the Nexan's RG6 works perfectly in my situation.

We can't have a roof aerial so have an amplified indoor antenna in one room where the signal is great and ran the aerial out via RG6 coax to the room where the old telephone cable was. All the relevant UHF carrier channels in my area show 100% signal on my TV except one which is 70-80%. No connectors are outside, but if you want any connectors outside be sure to get weatherproof/waterproof connectors (to stop damage to the internal cable material & any connected equipment).

As for if weatherproofing is needed for the cable itself (not connectors), I cannot say for certain as of yet but if any problems happen with the cable I will update here.

Thanks again for everyone's advice above. Much appreciated

Last edited by RWCable; 26-11-2019 at 15:00.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote