Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 12:32   #6072
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'd just like to take you up on the one point (the others are the ones we are all going round in circles).

I've argued that had it been the other way round, the Leavers would have accepted it because there would have been nothing further on which to hang one's hat. It wouldn't be the case of "what we know now".

Surely you could see that?

I'd argue that we would be in exactly the same position but roles reversed, the closeness of the vote and the passion of the two sides I would suspect would ensure that this would be the case.

There are three camps, those passionate to leave and will fight to ensure it will happen, those passionate to stay who will not stop trying until there's nothing left to try. and those who will just accept what will be and hope for the best.

You could argue that Brexit whilst of very significant purpose is just the tip of some incredibly deep divisions of a very volatile and fractured society. We're currently in a political and social state of being able to deal with or resolve any of them.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Get your fellow remainers to accept a democratic vote and stop attempting to overturn it by whatever means possible.

That is the cause of division.
i think you have a point, but again, with such a close result and feeling between the leave and remain that's just not going to happen. If the vote was 70/30 or even 60/40 in the favour of leave I think there may be more acceptance (albeit grudgingly) there may well be political and social discord but not to the levels we're currently seeing.

The great thing about democracy is we don't have to accept what is put in front of us, and we're all within reason permitted to try and bring about change.