View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 22:08   #93
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
This is because Parliament has determined that a well-funded national broadcaster is the best means of ensuring a guaranteed depth and breadth of quality programming.

It’s easy to assume that American style TV would be great for the UK given the quality of much the stuff that is imported here, however we only see a small fraction of what actually fills airtime in the USA and trust me, an average evening on an average channel on American TV is horrific. It’s dross, mostly cheap talking head news magazines and fairly constant commercial breaks.
Quite, but whatever, the Culture Secretary wants to convert the TV licence into a BBC subscription model, which surely is why we are having this debate.

I’m sure that the last thing we want is to follow the path of American TV, but we have better options than that.

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Public service broadcasting may well be "under review".

That doesn't mean it will cease to exist. The discussion centres around how and where it's provisioned. Nobody is proposing to remove it from the millions of homes that can't get (or don't want) an expensive fibre broadband package.
I don’t think PSB will be abolished, but I think it will be redefined and funded differently.