Thread: Anorexia
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 19:03   #29
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Anorexia

I don't think they will take your family out of the equation Hom3r as Family therapy seems to work well with ED maybe your sister could ask your niece's therapist if this is an option and if so what is the waiting time for Family therapy within your area. Family therapy is exactly that for the family where you all discuss how this horrid illness affects all, it is my understanding once someone becomes anorexic outside help is needed the majority of the time.

Family therapy involves you and your family talking to a therapist, exploring how anorexia has affected you and how your family can support you to get better.

Your therapist will also help you find ways to manage difficult feelings and situations to stop you from relapsing into unhealthy eating habits once your therapy ends.

You can have the sessions together with your family or on your own with the therapist. Family therapy is sometimes offered in a group with other families.

You will usually be offered 18 to 20 sessions over a year, and your therapist will regularly check that the schedule is still working for you.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/anorexia/treatment/

I agree with Pip and that an anorexic will cheat and lie to your face and what the family need to remember this is the illness, not the person as once an ED has you in its clutches it controls you a bit like an addict a drug addict will do and say anything for the next fix, an alcoholic will do and say anything for the next drink and someone with Anorexia will also do and say anything to convince other's that they have eaten, not exercised etc basically what you have experienced with your niece, I also thought Angua tip was good if your niece likes to exercise you could maybe also try and mention protien bars like Angua did.
Quote:
My daughter became obsessed with exercise whilst she was in the midst of anorexia. Fortunately this gave us a way of encouraging her to eat protein rich foods and carbs so she got the energy to exercise.
Your niece is lucky to have such a caring Uncle and supportive family take care Hom3r

I'm sending you a Hom3r as I know this must be really hard on you to see someone who you love and care about so much and I suspect you're also worried about your sister.