View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46   #6010
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Hmm I think we are danger of losing the plot a little bit here. All I want is to use my VM broadband knowing that my browsing is not being profiled or processed in any way by VM or their scumware lackeys. I don't feel any obligation to defend those who are too stupid / apathetic to not opt in to something they don't understand. I don't feel any particular animosity to VM for investigating phorm, they couldn't afford to ignore a technology that was touted to make them £85m a year - equiv to approx 150,000 users - and they certainly couldn't allow BT to steal a march on them with this unchallenged. They have not deployed it yet - there is no real evidence even of them having trialed it outside of the lab - and whatever way any opt-in question is phrased many users will agree to opt-in because they trust the Virgin brand and trust that VM will not screw them over. And generally VM are one of the more consumer-friendly companies out there, which doesn't make them saints because, after all, they are in business to make money. For many it is the strength of their brand and the image of the bearded one that engenders this trust, hopefully we can help VM understand the consequences to the Virgin brand if people feel they have betrayed this trust. The fact is VM remain in the cable business which is more than Telewest or NTL managed, and their business is to sell advertising through as many channels as they can and they are pretty good at that aspect of it.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Share price diving this morning so far

Alexander Hanff
Good to see but its not a victimless crime - not good for the industry generally if small shareholders continue to be taken for a ride on tech stocks.