View Single Post
Old 14-12-2022, 20:42   #601
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So linear channels in all but name will exist.
If you want to put it that way, yes, but my prediction relates to existing channels. I’ve explained this before, but just to remind you:

Channels like BBC1, BBC 2, etc will disappear and instead content will be categorised by genre. Davie has said so. All the content will be under the corporate BBC brand.

Similarly all Sky channels will be under a general Sky banner (there may be a further division for Sky Sports).

I have never made an assumption that live programming won’t be available - that is just a twist that others have made. How would that ever make sense? Live programming will, of course, continue to exist and will be accessed in much the same way as existing PPV programming.

Quote:
Do you even know what the Government targets are for broadband rollout, OB?
Yes. The nationwide gigabit-broadband rollout should be completed by 2025 under the government’s manifesto (recognise that date?). That target was revised to a minimum of 85% of premises by 2025. The Levelling Up White Paper published earlier this year published a new target - at least 99% by 2030.

Quote:

It’s an important distinction OB that your belief has an ever increasing number of caveats while the rest of us are comfortable in our own analysis as we have been throughout. Too many dependencies - public and private sector investment, regulatory intervention and consumer behaviour are required to hit a target we believe is wholly unrealistic.
I based my prediction on the ‘knowns’ at the time. It doesn’t require a genius to understand that if the ‘knowns’ become uncertain and then change, this will impact on the original prediction.

Nobody can predict the future with the kind of precision you seem to expect. Everything depends on the circumstances that make that prediction possible remaining appreciably the same.

Whatever happens now, I am quite pleased that we are well on the way to getting to where I said we would be, even if it takes slightly longer to get there through policy changes.