View Single Post
Old 21-01-2019, 00:13   #515
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I can’t find anyone predicting the demise of Sky Two, or any suggestions that BSkyB plan to reduce the number of owned and operated linear channels in the UK in the near to mid term future.

One must always beware media analysts predicting a bright and shiny future. Remember, journalists in this field are selling a product - themselves. Nobody wants to read articles about a bland, ordinary and unexceptional future therefore there has to be a few lines to make the world seem more exciting.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4184479.stm

Here’s the death knell for linear television from 2005.
I remember that article and that is a great find!

Like the V6's offerings today, the NTL VOD offering fell far short of its potential, hampered by the tech and limited choice.

Streaming, if done properly, blasts the old VOD systems out of the water and will lead to the decline, in my opinion, of the bulk of linear tv.

BTW: Has anyone mentioned here that Netflix posted their latest results the other day and they have added millions more customers? Streaming will lead to the death of most linear tv, although as that article shows, it is hard to predict when that will happen.