View Single Post
Old 20-01-2019, 10:45   #511
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That's right, my earlier link was about the US, and where they go, we will follow. I have never said we will see a mass reduction in pay tv channels this year, mine was a longer term prediction. However, we will be seeing the first signs of this future trend in the short to medium term, I believe.

Relevant paragraphs in that link were:

Main insights unveiled in the Yearbook which surveyed 41 countries were that the total number of households subscribing to pay-TV continues to increase with IPTV’s share of pay-TV subscribers up to 25%, yet with cable stagnating over the last five years, and satellite growth grinding to a halt.

Pay on-demand revenues in the region in the 2018 period grew on average by 45% per year between 2013 and 2017 and main was driver for growth was subscription VOD, with a 74% average annual growth rate. Subscription video-on-demand accounted for nearly three-quarters (72%) of revenues while transactional VOD retail was found to be growing faster than rental and accounts now for 42% of TVOD revenues.