Thread: US Timeline The Mandalorian
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2020, 21:08   #146
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The Mandalorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The Falcon was always breaking down and falling apart. They usually foxed it with a bit of welding or snacking the console.

Star Wars tech is not meant to be realistic or anything.

They managed to seal the cockpit and patch up the engines enough to limp to the planned planet. Without Hyperspace travel. So I see nothing wrong in the way the ship was repaired. It was a patch job just to enable to to have basic flight.
The lack of faster-than-light travel this week was interesting. When the falcon did it in Empire it had the feel of old-fashioned b-movie sci fi whose writers didn’t really have any concept of how big a galaxy is. When they repeated it in The Last Jedi (deliberately I’m sure; TLJ is all about the question of destiny and whether history truly repeats itself) I found it curious because by this point in the development of the genre there’s no question that writers working in it understand that you can’t get from anywhere to anywhere within a human lifetime using a rocket motor.

However in this week’s Mandalorian they were quite explicit that there is an engine technology in the Star Wars universe that can cross modest interstellar distances without hyperdrive. Of course they haven’t wasted any time explaining how that is meant to work - that’s Star Trek’s purview. Star Wars is science fantasy, and it should be enough for us to know what can happen, without needing to know how.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote