View Single Post
Old 27-10-2020, 00:14   #3
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview HD/SD channel swaps being piloted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Doubt it'll happen for BBC1. A lot of the regional news programmes are still in SD.
They don't need to implement it nationally. All the BBC channels are on regional or semi-regional (my term, I'm not 100% sure of the term they use, I think it's subregion) multiplexes, so they could swap in areas where the equipment mirrors what is needed and have upgraded regional news. Scotland and Wales, I think, fit that criteria so could swap BBC1.

BBC1 is swapped out on Satellite and Cable for some regions already. If I remember correctly whereas the BBCA SD Freeview multiplex is fully regionalised, the BBCB HD multiplex, which carries the main HD PSB channels from all the PSB broadcasters, is only partially regionalised. Until BBCB mirrors the BBCA regional divisions they can't fully implement swaps even for some areas where HD versions exist on other platforms.

This also means ITV can't put all its newly launched HD regions on Freeview unless they are prepared to pay to upgrade the equipment to enable it, and you can bet they'd rather lower/split the cost by getting BBC onboard.

---------- Post added 27-10-2020 at 00:14 ---------- Previous post was 26-10-2020 at 23:35 ----------

The BBC page about the HD swap.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work...eeview-devices
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote