View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 08:26   #1069
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
If we weren't setting the whole thing up to fail why did we agree to every demand, I think we set out our position all wrong at the start, focussing on anything but a trade deal as a failure was really starting of with one hand tied behind our backs, we should have played our hand as If we were leaving with no deal and anything on top was a bonus.

I could have it completely wrong, it's just the way it looks to me.
It's pretty easy for us to have no deal, we just don't do anything. Although you still have the problem of Northern Ireland amongst others. Although It seems the government have been giving assurances to various companies which are presumably about the nature of the relationship with the EU post-Brexit.

It might be that the British Government has spent months working on the 'divorce bill' and assumed once that was agreed the Germans would tell Ireland to knock it off and move onto the next stage of talks over their objections. When that didn't happen they tried to fudge it and it fell down on the matter of the DUP.

The idea that German car manufacturers wouldn't tolerate the lack of a deal that was popular during the campaign seems to be the basis of the government's strategy. Now we have been taken aback by the lack of domestic pressure on EU governments to do a deal as well as the unified approach they've all taken to the talks has surprised us. Hence the bigger bill, hence the lack of an answer on Ireland.

Last edited by Damien; 05-12-2017 at 08:32.