View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25   #6031
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And your thought process ignores the realities of why Amazon such a big streaming company has not blown Sky and BT out of the water long before now.
I really think there's an under appreciation of the gravity of the most recent Premier League rights auction.

Let's pretend we're the strategists at Sky.

JF: Right Den it's that time again, how much are we putting in for the Premier League rights?
Den: Less than last time. (both laugh excessively)
JF: Okay stop clowning around. Get a coffee and come back and we'll discuss it seriously.
Den (returns with two coffees): Right, less than last time I wasn't joking.
JF: But all I read is these digital marketing blogs telling me streaming is the future. Scudamore is saying Amazon are in.
Den: Not happening mate.
JF: Seriously?
Den: Nah, BT is the only credible bidder, and we've got our cushy wholesale deal so they're not going to push.
JF: Virgin?
Den: Nah, cheapest way they get the Prem is through BT, and us. Wholesale deal is due next year so they'll not rock the boat.
JF: Okay we will need to run this past the boss.

The Boss: What? I don't pay you two to come up with rubbish ideas. Give me something credible.
JF: This is credible.
The Boss: Not even inflation? Not even 1% a year more?
Den: Not a penny more. Less.

Scenario continues until someone at the very top signs of essentially betting the business model of the whole UK and Ireland operation on there being no Amazon, no Facebook, no Google, no Apple in the auction.