View Single Post
Old 21-05-2021, 08:40   #6
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all
Re: Virgin Akamai Cache Congestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
What device are you running My5 and ITVHub on? Can you quantify the quality drop? Does it only happen at certain times of day? Also please name some specific assets that show the fault.

BBC iPlayer certainly used to use Akamai, but I don't know if they still do.
Noticed it on both my fire sticks originally, my partner has also mentioned she noticed sky go (i rarely watch anything on it) drops in quality quite often but no way to check anything on the PS4 app.

I've recreated it on my5 chrome on my laptop, using the dev console i can see the segments it's requesting end in "1500" (assume the max bitrate) and that changes down to 800,360,180 before the picture and audio become noticeably worse, the assets then go back to 1500 and the quality improves, then drops etc etc

It does seem to coincide with peak times, it seems to be staying at 1500 right now, i'll test again later this afternoon and try and get some logs / screenshots
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote