View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 16:27   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ok, I’ll bite.

There are no contradictions. On your specific points:

1. It’s jfman who’s suggesting 2037, not me. I am basing what I believe will happen on what the government has stated on broadband rollout. Clearly, if the government changes its position on this or fails to meet its target, that changes things. I cannot be responsible for that.

2. You have highlighted:

‘The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.’

I presume you are focussing on that 2027 review date. At no point have I said the change from transmitter broadcasting will happen from that date. I have always said that should be in place by 2035. The licence fee review is likely to require the BBC to go to the subscription model (perhaps with an AVOD option) at some time during the period prior to the next licence fee review - probably within about five years of that date.

3. As I understand it, the BBC is planning to cease broadcasting via the current transmitter system by the mid 2030s. Which neatly fits in with everything I’ve been saying for the last five years.
You posted
Quote:
The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review.
The next licence review is in 2027 - does it not logically follow that you’re stating that the BBC is planning not to use the existing transmitter system after 2027?

Can you provide a link to where the BBC stated they will not be utilising the existing transmitter network after the next licence review in 2027, please?

In fact, you stated on 04/08/2019 09:45

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=995

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
[/B]

I agree that the broadband infrastructure in the UK is inadequate but I don't see that as supporting your argument. The whole country should have fast broadband speeds in a few years. As I've said previously, the BBC is planning for a non-linear scheduled TV environment after the next licence fee review.

But I expect you know better than them. They really should have consulted you in the first place.
The next licence review is in 2027.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-03-2021 at 17:03.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote