View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 11:11   #3
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

There appear to be some contradictions from a few of the final posts in the previous thread - can OLD BOY clarify, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
No it's your interpretation of what you think the Government will do in six years time. There's no manifesto commitment, no proposed legislation. Nothing but your hopes and dreams.

The 2025 broadband commitment is getting watered down so much the networks, particularly in rural areas, will not be up to it.

Then you're goosed until 2037. Better get shifting those goalposts again OB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
No, 2027 is what he said. The Beeb confirmed a while ago that it was planning not to be using the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review. The Culture Minister is saying he’s looking to abolish the licence fee from 2027.

As you always express a contrary view, I guess I must be on the right lines. You have nothing to back up your view, as usual.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:19 ----------

You need to read the article. He’s been mooting at doing this for sometime! It is only the broadband rollout that seems to be holding him back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I see no contradiction, jfman. The BBC document I was referring to talked about the BBC planning for internet only broadcasting by the mid-2030s. Hugh’s post seems to confirm that position.

Unless the government changes it’s position on this, I fully expect the 2027 review of the licence fee to require a move to a subscription model within the ensuing period.
Are the BBC planning not to use the existing transmitter system after the next licence fee review in 2027, or in the mid-2030s?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 03-03-2021 at 11:30.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote