View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 20:18   #5250
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
A simple look at the absence of advertising on Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay is the obvious evidence of existing operating models. Can't believe you missed that!

Once again, I have to remind you that I have not said that a low cost/no cost option with ads won't happen. In fact, I think this would be a sensible approach. You have also ignored the very reason why the streamers have been so popular. Watch what you want, when you want, with no interruptions. Therefore, the need is to preserve that principle, and offer an 'ads included' alternative for those who can't or won't pay. They would not wish to lose paying subscribers by pissing them off with the inclusion of unwanted adverts.

I guess you must just like watching TV commercials and being told when you can watch the programmes you want to see. Some people like to be controlled, I understand that.

I accept that you do not believe that existing pay tv channels will survive the long term. The BBC has already acknowledged that the situation is changing rapidly and that they need to plan for traditional TV channels disappearing after the next TV licensing review. You can take the view that they know nothing at all about it if you want, but I will continue to disagree with that view.

As for sports, I have said many times now that this is a totally different proposition. Huge subscriber costs can be reduced with advertising, and I dare say that will have to be considered in this area.
A quick look at Netflix debts suggests the operating model might not be working, or at least in future they might look at new revenue opportunities. Targeted advertising being obvious.

I actually don’t like watching ads, or working to a schedule, I don’t know what I’ve said that indicates that I do? Unlike you I’m not pushing my vision of the future relentlessly on an Internet forum with sources that are dubious online marketing companies.

I’m dealing in reality based in economics, not on supposition or speculation. People watch linear television, people pay for linear television and it’s cheap for the incumbents to maintain alongside streaming (Sky Go, Virgin TV Go, Now TV, Xbox/PS4 apps).

The BBC haven’t said there wont be linear channels - you keep portraying a speculative possibility as fact with no basis whatsoever. Of course, the BBC would rationally portray the worst option to get authority to extend its land grab into streaming. That’s not unexpected.