View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 20:05   #5249
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m predicting an exciting future. More diverse ways of accessing content? What’s not to like about that?

The only person predicting doom and gloom here is your end of old outdated linear television, that just so happens to be the most profitable and most popular delivery method at the minute - and will be for years to come. It costs major content owners and distributors pennies to maintain a linear presence by comparison to the content itself.

I didn't say all streaming services will carry adverts but those that seek to profit maximise (like all rational capitalists) will - and in doing so be able to charge less and gain more subscribers.

Pay-tv services could remove ads now but don’t. Streaming doesn’t change the economic reality - big businesses will pay a lot of money (and a lot more than the you and your boycott ever could) to get access. Streaming services will allow excerpt more effective targeted advertising ever could.

You continue to fail to answer the simple question why basic economics (e.g. advertising pressures, costs of sports rights) doesn’t apply to streamers. It’s just television over a different delivery method.
A simple look at the absence of advertising on Netflix, Amazon and StarzPlay is the obvious evidence of existing operating models. Can't believe you missed that!

Once again, I have to remind you that I have not said that a low cost/no cost option with ads won't happen. In fact, I think this would be a sensible approach. You have also ignored the very reason why the streamers have been so popular. Watch what you want, when you want, with no interruptions. Therefore, the need is to preserve that principle, and offer an 'ads included' alternative for those who can't or won't pay. They would not wish to lose paying subscribers by pissing them off with the inclusion of unwanted adverts.

I guess you must just like watching TV commercials and being told when you can watch the programmes you want to see. Some people like to be controlled, I understand that.

I accept that you do not believe that existing pay tv channels will fail to survive the long term. The BBC has already acknowledged that the situation is changing rapidly and that they need to plan for traditional TV channels disappearing after the next TV licensing review. You can take the view that they know nothing at all about it if you want, but I will continue to disagree with that view.

As for sports, I have said many times now that this is a totally different proposition. Huge subscriber costs can be reduced with advertising, and I dare say that will have to be considered in this area.