View Single Post
Old 17-11-2018, 09:39   #4722
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
An article, in today's Telegraph, about the proposed new 5 year EFL tv deal states "while Morris (Derby chairman) is an advocate of live streaming, which many analysts believe is running into problems with subscription fatigue (comments OB?) inertia and confusion among consumers"

Derby, Leeds and Villa are among the opponents of the new deal.

There is a possibility of a Premier League 2 breakaway - one wonders if this would end up with a ring fenced top 40 teams?
As far as sports is concerned, I agree. When you consider what people are paying out for Sky Sports and BT, it's a wonder really that newcomers can get a look in when it comes to sports streaming.

This will find its own level eventually - but with so much being paid out for Premiership football, I can't see us being flooded with new subscription based sports streaming services in the future. However, existing sports broadcast channels will be 'streaming only' in the years to come. People generally will subscribe to the sport(s) they most enjoy, but if the other services are too expensive, they will leave them alone.

It should not be forgotten, however, that some streaming services will be supported by unskippable commercials, although most would offer an ad-free subscription option.

Most of the additional mainstream on demand/streaming services we will be getting in the future will be those showing particular genres of programming, such as scripted series/films, wildlife and documentaries, music, news and reality shows. General entertainment will probably be left mainly to a new streaming service provided by BBC, ITV, Channel 4 (and maybe) Channel 5; and the new Sky streaming service that will replace or emulate the Sky Q functionality. I think we will also see more social media sites developing over time.

Having said that, I think we can expect to see many more UK-based minor streaming and video on demand services popping up showing old and cheaper content. Roku demonstrates to us just how these could proliferate, although most of the content is pretty low grade stuff.