View Single Post
Old 20-01-2015, 15:39   #12
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: The future for linear TV channels

How is this different? You can watch a number of live channels via TV anywhere anyway. They are just making a daft statement about how they have embraced the internet. I can't see the BBC or ITV letting us binge watch our favourite shows like Netflix do. Imagine how quickly Broadchurch 2 would be ruined for people who have Facebook/Twitter etc but could not see it all in one go. The ending of Broadchurch would be discussed straight away on the internet and at work the day after. They will just continue drip feed the episodes. Just how are ITV and C4 supposed to survive without advertising? Also how on earth are BBC etc going to film large chunks of their programmes in a small period of time just to stick them online, they have much more content to produce than Netflix. You must also remember there are millions and millions of young families who can not afford the luxury of VOD providers, or the content bundled in with the packages Sky, VM etc, who rely on linear TV. I am in my 30's and I do not see linear TV disappearing in my lifetime. Don't get me wrong, I watch very little live, I manage my recordings just so I can skip the adverts. I know plenty of people who still watch TV live though.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote