View Single Post
Old 22-08-2017, 20:22   #187
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Police to get tough on internet trolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Newsflash: Frankie Boyle to get 25 years for down syndrome joke

While I don't think harsh words should contribute to someone getting jail time, this will pickup a lot of riff raff/toff raff and inbetween but I see some fairly innocent people getting caught up in police treatment too.

One example above. Being devils advocate, say someone makes a comment on this forum suggesting they think people born in some areas of Africa are more aggressive by nature and it's in their DNA. Forget snog, marry or avoid. More like ban, prison, riot. No debate, just someone saying they are hurt by the comment, lots of name calling and ban hammers to avoid police action.
Well, I personally don't find Downs Syndrome funny and thought that his 'joke' at the expense of a child suffering from it to be going too far just to get a cheap laugh.

I agree that sometimes people may cause offence unintentionally with no malicious intent, in which case I would expect this to be pointed out to them. In return a retraction and apology will negate the need for more formal action, which I'm sure most right thinking people will do without a second thought.

If it makes people think twice before posting something on the internet, all well and good.

Worth pointing out that this is happening at about the same time as the right to have past internet contributions deleted. Everybody makes mistakes, which is fine as long as they are put right and lessons are learned.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote