View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 20:05   #266
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s one user, and one only, of this forum who can be described as a die hard around this subject.

I note you ignored the bad news:

As each SVoD player has started to see mature markets, their growth curve declines.

We expect to see those big services requiring to be closer, embedded into our billing and our subscriber relationships

Sounds like he is closer to my view that these fledgling streaming services need Sky and Virgin Media more than the other way around.
I didn’t ignore it, jfman. Nor did I take the meaning the way you took it, but I don’t find that at all surprising.

I think we all appreciate that as a market matures, the growth is less fast and eventually flattens out. However, while growth may slow, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the time viewers spend on the app follows that trend. Indeed, as viewers adjust to on demand environments, they will watch more in that way. Habits change over time.

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m not sure why it’d be any more interesting than how many people watch Line of Duty as broadcast on BBC 1 than on iPlayer.
The reason it’s interesting is because we’ve all been brought up with TV channels and the way we watch content. We know that currently more people watch BBC content from easily accessible broadcast channels.

However, Now operates in a more integrated way, with the prominence of VOD and scheduled TV reversed. Both live TV and on demand viewing is on there, but the emphasis is on VOD. When presented in that reverse order, I believe that most people would go straight to on demand.