View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 09:49   #1239
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

May allowed the EU to dictate the process. Thus the Withdrawal Agreement, with one change to the NI protocol negotiated by Johnson, tied our hands.

Indeed, we should just have walked away at that point with no WA and none of the other shackles associated with it.

The EU is currently acting like an enemy. Their negative effect on the UK is far worse than the other countries you cited. I suspect that the EU is not going to be our major trading partner much longer. If we stand up to those bullies, we'll be better off and Ireland will have problems that the EU will have to solve.

An extension would not have changed the negotiating position unless the EU believed that we would walk away if we didn't get the right concessions. Our PM looks weak because he is not a person of substance and he's to blame for the EU's nastiness.
Invoking Article 50 before we had sorted out our negotiating objectives was a clear error on Theresa May's part.

It's a pure fantasy to pretend we could have left without a deal. It would have driven a coach and horses through the Good Friday Agreement and no politician would countenance such a thing.

I think if you spoke to Dawn Sturgess's family (she was poisoned to death by Novichok) and the family of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe (languishing in an Iranian jail) you would soon find out the reality of your beliefs on which countries are closer to being our enemies than the EU.

With the clock counting down and your reluctance to re-start it, I fear you would have taken us up the same creek as BoJo has, had you been in his shoes.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote