View Single Post
Old 18-05-2021, 11:59   #111
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: Streaming services news, offers and general chit chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I haven't paid a penny for Apple TV + yet nor would I , there's a reason they haven't charged those who got it free yet and that's because the offering isn't very compelling for the current fiver they charge.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

I would pretty much agree , there is certainly a decent acquisition by Apple going to happen at some stage I think.
It’s not an existential business for Apple… they’re not Netflix who need to throw $17 Billion a year at content creation and acquisition to remain viable. Truth be told is that they can happily offer it for free while it remains a young service but as long as it remains an attractive part of their ecosystem, driving phone device sales and things like the Apple One Bundle, it’s doing its job… I don’t think Apple need to make some desperate bid for a legacy catalogue they might not be able to properly exploit when they can just opt to attract high end talent and continue to build a slate of original, wholly owned content that is attractive in its own right.

The current craze for M&A is fun to speculate but looking at Apple’s history of acquisitions, I think acquiring a business like Sony doesn’t really track - especially given that the Japanese government would most likely never allow a homegrown company like Sony to be bought lock and stock.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote