View Single Post
Old 13-06-2018, 19:20   #69
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: [update] Santa Fe school shooting: 10 dead and 10 wounded in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloé Palmas View Post
So a bunch of serial killers do harm, your response is to excoriate the weapon / ownership of it?

That doesn't fit as to any possible reason to ban the weapon, IMO.

I didn't need your gratification for that. If ever I did need or want one and it was lawful to purchase it in my locality, I would buy one.

Why? I mean, they don't answer to you nor do they have to justify their desire to buy one, to you or anyone.

https://www.billofrightsinstitute.or...ill-of-rights/

The second amendment is one of those 10 amendments, it restricts the government's ability to infringe on gun ownership.

This is basic civics 101. I don't have the time to go through this and explain it to you bit by bit right now but you are categorically wrong on this issue - it has gone through appeal after appeal, courts have affirmed it - decades of fighting and so on. There is no legal or constitutional basis for the government to infringe on the rights of the populace to bear arms.

Hopefully the above has explained some of it. If you do have more questions, I'll answer them in time but Hugh seems to have a pretty good grasp on this. He and I may differ some on the philosophy of all this but his understanding of the technical mechanism of how it all works / the levers and the pulleys etc is accurate. It is difficult for people who do not understand this from a grade school level (being taught it) to pick it up later but your interpretation is not correct on the structure of government.

Yeah again you don't seem to understand how the US system works - you do not need to justify anything when you exercise a right - not in the slightest. The US may not be a civilized society in your opinion but that is all it is - your opinion. And your opinion does not allow you to infringe upon the rights of others.
I am not sure if you mean to patronise but that is how you certainly come across.

I was answering your assertion:

Quote:
Secondly, the constitution does not give rights - the creator does. The constitution limits what the government can do.
I was not referring to the 2nd Amendment specifically. You asserted that the "constitution does not give rights" and I suggest that you are wrong in this assertion.

Ironically, you referred to the Bill of Rights, I guess the clue is in the title?

You clearly do not accept the basic premise that selling weapons of mass murder on the open market is wrong and so let's agree to differ?