View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 12:42   #5
SONY007
cf.member

SONY007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I think I may need a VPN router

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
You cannot replace the shub. VM requires you to use their own modem to access their network so whether you use the shub in router mode or modem mode + third party router the shub is staying. The best thing anyone can do regardless of your vpn requirements is to put the shub in modem mode and use a good third party router.
Asus routers are very good and I have got the AC68u which can also run a vpn. The want to lan throughput on the ac68u is 750mbits and on the 88u is 800mbits so in terms of futureproofing and the tiers VM is going to provide there isn't anything in it. The big difference is in the price, the 68u is £118 and the 88u is £200 so I would take a good look at the other features and see if you would really benefit from the extra £££.

Hey thanks for that General Maximus, I had not looked or saw any info on the 68u so will do that now as see at what price I can get either model for on eBay or Amazon and decide from there. Thanks again

---------- Post added at 12:42 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

I've found an ASUS RT-AC88U selling on eBay for £119.99 which is being sold from China, whereas the same model on eBay being sold from the UK are being sold for around £189 - £250 and more. Would the products be of the same specification and build quality or would it be advisable to purchase from the UK?
SONY007 is offline   Reply With Quote