View Single Post
Old 29-08-2021, 13:56   #12
linwelin
cf.addict

linwelin is on a distinguished roadlinwelin is on a distinguished road
Re: Upgrade planned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
the shubs have and always will be free because VM need to provide accessibility to their network (modem). Hopefully production has caught up post covid disruption and it is now best practise to swap out all shubs with a shub 4. I really do hope that a shub 5 will come out next year with 2.5gbit ports. VM must be working on it now because they have hit a limit for the first time in about 20 years. They can't increase the speed on the services they offer until they provide a shub with greater than 1gbit ports. I imagine they are pulling their hair out thinking about it because the other thing they need to do is educate customers because 99.9% of people are going to continue to have gigabit nics in their pcs/laptops etc for many years to come and you can just imagine the calls to tech support with customers saying they can only get 800mbits on their 2gbit connection which is less than half the speed. I think it is going to have to be a combination of an easy to digest email upon tier signup as well as troubleshooting guides on the website and probably lengthy and annoying voice messages you have to listen to when you ring up tech support before they put you through to someone.
In my experience, they have always charged to upgrade to a new hub unless of course, you need it because you have upgraded speed and you need the new hub. I was offered the hub4 and I downgraded to 200MB so I didn't need the hub4 to my knowledge.
linwelin is offline   Reply With Quote