View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 18:40   #4601
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I did wonder who’d be first in to bat for the Government but it was predictable really. Nomadking to the... flounder?

With exponential growth rate of the virus, I’m sure the resources of the fifth (are we still fifth) richest economy in the world could have coped with it similarly to extending it for a week at the cost of tens of thousands of lives and considerable NHS resource.
It's not a matter of "batting for the government", it's pointing out the FACTS(strange concept it would seem) about the reports. Have I posted or quoted anything that if FACTUALLY incorrect?

Eg the claim was made that the government were advised to start lockdown a week earlier. When you actually look at the FACTS, they were merely advised on the 16th or 18th to do so "as soon as possible". It was announced on the 23rd. So possibly told on the Wednesday, take a few days to consider, decide, and plan, and it was announced on the following Monday(weekend getting in the way?).

It is FACT, that both Germany and South Korea had shortages of testing kits and PPE.

It is FACT, that even the WHO didn't initially recommend the general wearing of face masks.

5th May
Quote:
Sir Patrick Vallance said: “When you look at everything that happened, maybe days either way would have made a difference."
But he rejected the idea that ministers should have brought in the restrictions at the start of March.
He told MPs: “I think it’s difficult to look back and say that three weeks [earlier] was an obvious point to do it. I don’t think that was clear. I don't think that is clear now.
But he played down the importance of face coverings, despite Boris Johnson claiming they could play a role in disease prevention and in giving people confidence when the lockdown is eased.
So just "maybe", not definitely.

20th March
Quote:
Measures to close entertainment, hospitality and indoor leisure premises across the country to take place from the end of trading hours today (Friday 20 March) to limit spread of coronavirus 
New measures will further limit people’s sustained social contact as we tackle the spread of coronavirus, guided by scientific evidence
Public urged to stay at home and limit all but essential travel - people who can work from home should do so

16h March
Quote:
So, second, now is the time for everyone to stop non-essential contact with others and to stop all unnecessary travel.
We need people to start working from home where they possibly can. And you should avoid pubs, clubs, theatres and other such social venues.
So third, in a few days’ time – by this coming weekend – it will be necessary to go further and to ensure that those with the most serious health conditions are largely shielded from social contact for around 12 weeks.
And again the reason for doing this in the next few days, rather than earlier or later, is that this is going to be very disruptive for people who have such conditions, and difficult for them, but, I believe, it’s now necessary.
Other measures and advice were in place BEFORE full lockdown announced on the 23rd. Those other measures and advice should've limited the spread anyway. "Social distancing" was already in place. It's not as if nothing happened before the 23rd. That is FACT.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
WTAF?

Is this in line with you not condemning the Russian bounties on our troops in Afghanistan - was that because the Taliban were probably going to try and kill them anyway*? :

*in line with your, for lack of a better word, logic in your post.
As was just said on a TV news report, IF they had gotten hold of anything, it would've been something in, or soon to be in, the public domain. If there was full collaboration, it would've been pointless trying
Link

Quote:
And they are also challenging them over targeting something that the general public recognises as being highly sensitive - coronavirus vaccine research - rather than simply some company or government department's information.
However, on another level we should not be too surprised by the claim.
Understanding vaccine research and other details about the pandemic has become a top target for intelligence agencies around the world and many others, including Western spies, are likely to be active in this space.
But one cyber-security expert said the Russians were unlikely to be the only ones involved in such a campaign.
"They have lots of people, we have lots of people, the Americans have even more people, as do the Chinese," commented Prof Ross Anderson from the University of Cambridge's Computer Laboratory.
"They are all trying to steal this kind of stuff all the time."
How much of the alleged attacks are just the SAME sort that the rest of us, get all the time.

Where was the actual evidence of bounties? My issue, as explained at the time, was that it was hypocritical of those making the accusations.

Last edited by nomadking; 16-07-2020 at 18:47.