View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Question About Virgin Media and BT Infinity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
No, they can overlap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan103 View Post
How so?
he doesn't mean overlap as in interfere with one another, he means they can run simultaneously/alongside one another. They are completely different types of cable running to different street cabinets which won't be close to each other. The coax from VM will run under ground and your phone line for the Infinity will run over head on a pole. The only common point of intersection is your house so unless someone blows your house up you should never suffer from a loss of both services. Sometimes somebody (council/water board etc) digs up the road and cuts through a VM pipe by accident which will knock out your connection but it won't affect BT and likewise if there is a storm and a phone pole gets blown over it won't affect your VM connection.

I strongly recommend VM over BT. With VM there are no distance based speed restrictions so as long as you are in a cabled area the max speed available to your area (e.g. 200mbits) is what you will get. In contrast, BT/Openreach providers advertise e.g. 76mbits on Infinity 2 but it is all based on the distance to your local cabinet and as an example for me, the most I can get is 53mbits which pales in comparison to the 378 I get from VM.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote