View Single Post
Old 29-10-2018, 21:48   #9
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: ASUS RT-AC88U providing unstable and incomplete service

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Things are looking up.

Someone in another forum told me that, because the AC88U has two internal switches to service the 8 ethernet ports, we need to take care what ports we use. It is better to put your key network cables in ports 1-4 or in 5-8, not to mix them. That advice seems to be correct. I now have a stable the system. Services are running normally.

This begs the question: What do I do if I need more than 4 switches to run a larger network?
According to the specs yep there's a broadcom set and a realtek set in 2 banks of 4Ge ports. Something's obviously dodgy, most probably the firmware which would come as no great surprise.

Have you checked the cpu utilisation when it's playing up? ssh to the thing and run 'top'. Toggle between the cores with 1 to see if there are any problems.

Btw if you were ever in a situation where your network had some kind of requirement for 4x physical switches then the first place to put that Asus thing would be ebay or in the bin
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote