View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 10:59   #2326
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That’s the point…

There aren’t any requirements for foot or road traffic exports/imports in the NZ-Australia systems, so using their "technology" as a comparison to posit there is a similar solution already in place is not congruent with actuality.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 ----------

I’m not getting "carried away" - I’m using 40 years experience in implementing large scale Business Systems to point out the complexity of what is required, rather than your simplistic "the technology is there" mantra, based on who knows what? I pointed out that one aspect of the "technology" that you said is "already there" is in fact not "there", and is over a decade late, and won’t go live for nearly two years.

You said

As stated above, you are comparing apples with orang-utans - You keep using "the technology is there" as your "get out of jail" card - the technology to provide a solution to the Eire/EU - NI/UK cross-border traffic and imports and exports isn’t there, and probably won’t be for 5-10 years.
I understand that you have vast experience in IT, Hugh, and that you know so much more than the rest of us on this subject so we may as well just shut up but I really do have to challenge you on this.

You seem to be confused about the argument I am making. The technology is there, otherwise the government would not have suggested it. What isn't there is the system they want to introduce to make it work. That can be devised using existing technology.

The example I would give you is this. There is an existing technology called 'blockchain'. Most on here will have heard of this, and it is already being used for cryptocurrencies. Hence, it should be obvious that it is a very secure way of monitoring and recording.

The way this would work is that a unique code would be generated for each item, and it would contain information on the product's origin and who has handled it on every step along the way. So by this method, the origin of all goods transported would be recorded and this would provide the guarantees required, including certificates of origin for everything passing thrrough the border.

I do not dispute that the system would need to be developed, and this would take time, but the technology is there already. For the transitional period, we would need an extension to the present arrangement.

Hopefully, I have made this clear enough for everyone to understand.