View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 13:32   #6
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Does anyone use the BBC Red Button text service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
You'd think. Don't get me wrong, I like the old-fashioned digital text. I'd keep it.

I was under the impression some of the radio MHEG info was going too, there's none on Virgin Media and it's years since they switched it off, you just get a blank screen and a Connected Red Button prompt which takes you to iPlayer.

There are multiple things the space could benefit, assuming the space is not vacated permanently
Those are pretty interesting possibilities!

Since you mention it, was there ever a proper MHEG display on Virgin Media on the radio channels? I remember that on the old Samsung and PACE boxes ("Liberate" platform), in my area (ex-NTL), radio channels would only show a black screen with white text with the name of the radio station. (As I understand, possibly wrong, the TiVo platform isn't necessarily DVB-compliant and apps + UI rely on an HTML5 renderer and sometimes Adobe Flash).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Yes, we do use it. We have 2 small screen TVs, one is only a year old, that have no internet connectivity.

I also wonder what all the people living in caravans & boats will think with them now being forced to use data allowances to use any of the BBCs apps.
I also have a fairly recent TV from 2015 with no internet or Freeview HD... The implications of discontinuing this are quite interesting when you consider the varied user base and equipment.

Last edited by RWCable; 09-12-2019 at 13:40.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote