View Single Post
Old 21-08-2019, 16:04   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: STB Updated with a solid state drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I suppose the day will come when SSD's replace all hard drives. And it should speed things up for us all.
Around 1990 I went to a presentation where the price per bit of hard disk and battery-backed RAM over time was shown. The charts were pretty straight and crossed at 1995, so the presenter predicted that hard drives would be obsolete by then.

But what actually happened over the next couple of years was hard drive capacities suddenly shot up. 30 years later they are still cheaper than solid-state.

So I'm pretty sceptical of any prediction of the demise of hard drives.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 15:58 ----------

To answer the OP, TiVo would be faster because it does a lot of paging. It probably wouldn't make a noticeable difference on the V6.

But don't do it.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote