View Single Post
Old 20-10-2018, 16:18   #4578
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLiga View Post
Sport and streaming do not mix. Amazon and Eleven have found out the hard way that live streaming is a pain. Why even try in that market? Buffering, pixelation screen too big/too small for Monitor/ Tablet, get Chromecast out..it's still shit. And at the moment they are still over a minute behind actual live coverage!

However I do agree the linear none-sport TV channels will slowly get eaten up. They practically give away Sky Movies now and those mid-tier Discovery/MTV channels will be next. People won't be complaining about the loss of Dave or UK TV in a few years.

For VM they should concentrate on sport (welcome news on testing of Eleven and reason I've signed to forum!) and providing the Apps for the subscription service. Maybe offering bundled App deals or packaged with Broadband App deals.

I think the main terrestrial channels will be good for a long while yet they can run side by side with streaming (Strictly wouldn't be the same if it wasn't Live!).

More emphasis on sport, a reduction on the mid-tier tv packs in size and price with the FTA channels continuing and more access to Apps (Amazon) is the way to go.
I completely sympathise with those who are having difficulties with live streaming of sport. Indeed, many people are experiencing buffering and other issues, we all suffer from the time lag and many cannot even access streaming services yet because of the state of our broadband and its relatively limited reach.

However, these problems will resolve themselves over the next few years, including latency, which the BBC has prioritised right now.

The main terrestrials are indeed likely to last the longest as the smaller channels become financially unviable. It stands to reason that once the majority of people move to on demand programming, advertisers will want to pay less for their reduced audiences. The bigger channels will be able to keep going for a while, but those that are not making a lot of profit at the moment will go under.